29 September 2006

Computational complexity of peeling a banana with special tools

I kept wondering all this while - What is happening to all the theoretical computer science knowledge I have? How do I really mix mathematics and CS together? But it seems that the tough times are coming... Tough time in the sense, challeging time ie the interesting time :)

Had the weekly discussion with prof. He was asking me to prepare on one or two things per week and giving me a well defined line through which I had to proceed. But today it slowly started changing. He was giving me some ideas about some algos for this mathematical computations.

Okay okay, I shall explain. Say, we have a matrix. We have to find out the determinant. How do we do it? We need an algorithm. Right? So, matrix is a mathematical object, it's determinant also is a mathematical object, the calculation of determinant is a mathematical process. But we might have different ways to calculate it. So using complexity analysis, we say which method is better/best. We have to consider both time complexity and space complexity. This was an example.

Today he was telling me about some computational-geometry/algebra algorithms which are doubly exponential in time and exponential in space. (doubley exponential is 2^2^n - 2 to the power of 2 to the power of n; exponential is just 2^n). Also asked me to get ready for these kind of stuff and do a deep dive. Things are coming the way I was expecting - I learn mathematics and with the basics more or less set, I can look into computational issues of some special tools used in mathematics (eg. Groebner Bases).

I am heading to the library to take the book by Papadimitriou - Computational Complexity. Need to refresh my complexity theory!!

- Boiled Banana - Exercise for malayalees -

Take the kerala style big banana (Nenthrappazham); cut the head and tail so that it looks like a sausage; boil it (Puzhunguka). Make sure that it is not overcooked.

Now you have the whole banana, cooked and the skin is a little thin after boiling it.

Take a knife and fork. Try to put the banana from the cooked vessel to your plate. Once that's done successfully, peel the banana - NO, not with your hand. Use the knife and fork. The experience you will have is what you call real fun.

I was having weiss-wurst (Typical Bavarian White-Wurst) with my colleagues and professor. There is a small covering on this wurst [Just like a condom on it ;) ]. Before eating, the cover needs to be taken out - yes, only knife and fork. I was scared that my wurst will fly to some other plate while I was taking of that thin dress of the wurst. By the time I went to the second wurst, I used my hand. What the heck? God has given us hands to undress the wurst!

Tomorrow I'll make one more trip to Oktoberfest. I've to wait a whole year for that to come again. I am sad that I dont drink beer - I dont like the taste. :(

Signing off, Sands.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog is hilariously complex...
Not from me. From Bernhard.

God has given us hands to undress the wurst!
Nice ...you really use words in the strangest way :)
Ammu
PS: Is there any color left out in your blog???

Sandeep Sadanandan said...

Yup a little complex. This entry, the title itself proclaims abt complexity.

Strange things are to be expressed in strange ways to strangers. What is strange in that? :)

Color opinion taken into consideration.

Sands

Karthikeyan said...

u mean the wurst is boiled pazhams ??? man does it taste good ???...

Sandeep Sadanandan said...

Sausage is something similar to banana in shape. (you can say it’s very similar to a penis). Both ends are alike. It is mainly made of some meat and herbs – made into a paste and put into that shape. Normally non-veg. you get veg-sausage too. In German it is called wurst.

And it’s tasty too…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wei%C3%9Fwurst is the thing I talked about – in the blog.

joyofnothing said...

As ammu pointed out, i dont like the colors in ur blog...
y dont u keep two colors alone and blog with it...

Karthikeyan said...

far better..but looks dull..... what happened to the links from ur blog... generally i used to visit dinil and pramode sir's from ur blog... atleast give their links in the blog.....

Vimal said...

liked the new template :)

da, read this one
http://atulchitnis.net/