18 August 2008

For a change..

First of all --  a little smile :) ... just for you! :) Now read on! ...

It's been quite some since I read some non-technical book. I cannot actually recollect -- which was the last fiction I read. (the little prince?)

Anyway, for a change, I started with the well celebrated novel - Pride and Prejudice. I started with it after being compelled a lot by someone.

I can totally understand that - the feeling to compelling someone - because whenever I read some wonderful stuff, or watch some nice thing, I strongly recommend those things to my friends. To some of them who are very close, I sometimes even insist on them reading the stuff I loved.

I have forced some of my friends to read a couple of books. Have insisted on them watching some nice shows. I don't know why would we do that - is it just the pleasure of knowing the dear ones too are having the same nice experience we had? Should be it, right?

Well it can't be totally true.. as I was forcing a friend of mine to watch a documentary "Survivors' guide to plane crashes" -- just two days before she was to fly. All my intention was to get her scared.

After watching that one, though ultimately informative, I was really not ready for an air-travel. Also, in all  of my later flights, I avoided alcohol : the reason - to be on the safer side. :)

But actually I really wanted to make her more knowledgeable about the kind of things which could happen during a flight - to bring her too to the safe side.

Well, Back to main topic: So, I started with the book. Usually, I have a threshold of 40 pages  - which means, if I get past 40 pages of any book, I'll mostly finish it. There are times where I reach about till 40 and drop the book and pick it up some other time.

But this book .. I just read through. The very first time I took a break was at 49. All the same, disappointingly, my reading speed is pretty low with this book. It could be because of the real old English (the book is 200 years old) and the different style. I really liked the book. This must be the oldest book I have ever read -- if not considering the epics/mythology. Well... let me finish it soon!

Other than that.. I'd been totally confused lately - like never before. I cannot point out why.. but the confusions arise mainly from the thoughts of "What can I do", "What should I do", "How can I do" -- something for the problems persisting in the world right now, starting from terrorism to gender-inequality to global-warming. Every one should do something .. I too should.

I need a proper action plan and I am making that action plan. In fact, the first post related to these global problems was posted in my Malayalam blog. But I think, I'll follow it up here in the world of English.

Turned out to be longer than what I had intended.

Signing off, Sands.

7 comments:

A Liberated Soul said...

Too serious buddy!

Sands | കരിങ്കല്ല് said...

Hey...
you did read till the end! :) Thanks!

Well.. wasn't intentionally serious -- if I sounded so!

========

Well.. when I read the comment, I was thinking of saying "chumma" like Mohanlal says in movies ... with a wink.

But as it is not possible, be satisfied with this --
;).. chumma! ;)

========
Does it sound serious anymore!?

Anonymous said...

For a curious and motivated person, confusion is often followed by better understanding, interpretation and finally a good solution. So, be happy that you are confused now :).

Anonymous said...

if u really want to do something start it today itself

http://www.diovo.com/2008/07/go-green/

Sands | കരിങ്കല്ല് said...

@Dinil

:)
Thanks for that .. I really do thank you!

And of course .. you don't really need this post to know what is going on in my mind! :)

@Asha

Thanks for the link. But frankly to say, the problem is not that we don't know what to do.

The problem is make people do that.

How to get into the heart/thoughts of people.. and let them know the things!

ഗീത said...

I too have read Pride and Prejudice. Actually I read twice. I liked it very much.
By the way, I'm really shocked to hear you say something !!! Guess if you can !

Sands | കരിങ്കല്ല് said...

I would read it again -- but after the other list of books.

And which act of mine shocked you?

chechi.. angane guess cheyyanulla athrakku budhi onnum enikkillatto..

entha sambhavan ennu parayooo :)