23 March 2008

Readers and Reflections!

I got a quite valuable feedback from a regular reader. And that matters a lot to me. Let me tell you a small story first.

While I was teaching the Fundamental Algorithms course, just about 15-20 minutes into the class, some students used to get up and go. Towards the end of the class there would be only about two thirds of the initial strength. Needless to say, this used to upset me. 

I contacted the another teacher and told him about this. He told me - "The students who come for this course are from different backgrounds and some of them already know what we are teaching, so they leave once they find that the topic is already known". Reflection - can you see my reflection?

He also mentioned to me that the whole point of giving the lecture was to teach the students something new - even if there is only one student who benefited from that class, it's better than having none. Yes, it does make sense.

Basically, the interest of the *really* interested ones are really important. And even that single vote counts. [On a second reading, this paragraph makes more sense than I had intended. *You* may want to read this paragraph a few times].

Hence, as per the suggestion of the regular reader, I keep my tech and non-tech blogs still separate. :)

Signing off, Sands.

PS: This is not something which should be written in a PS, still... I have never been able to surprise my parents. They seem to know what I think. And every now and then, they give me terrific surprises! Hats off to them.

3 comments:

Preetha Nair said...

The Thai magic....... I guess??? or am I wrong again????

Anonymous said...

thai magico ... that sounds interesting :)

yup .. the para did make a lot of sense!

Sands | കരിങ്കല്ല് said...

Thai magic? Am I missing something?

That was the name of the restaurant where I dined on the day I put the post.

@Preetha
When was you wrong earlier?

@uSandeep
Here [even in my own blog] too I needed a second reading :(

Sands.